Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Weight, Weight Don't Tell Me


This is UFC fighter Rashad Evans
Height: 5'11
Weight: 205 lbs

This is UFC fighter Phil Davis
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 205 lbs
This is average Lanae
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 220 lbs

Yes, that's right. 
I seriously outweigh 
Light Heavyweight UFC fighters
who are 2" to 5" taller than I am.
You know what else?
That's ok.

Want to know something else?
Folks around me are fine with it as well.
Yah, even here in Korea.
In fact, many take me aside to let me know that -
even though I don't fit into the normal "stereotype"-
there's nothing wrong with it, 
I am still pretty,
and I don't need to go on a diet.
(To be honest this does make me giggle.)

Sure, many of my students call me Hulk Teacher 
and express surprise that a woman can be strong,
but they get used to it and they accept it.
Even better, we get to talk about it.

I'm thankful I don't fit into the norm.
I'm thankful I'm strong.
I'm thankful my kids bring it up.
Most of all, I'm thankful we get to talk
about all the ways women can be beautiful.

So, the next time someone comments on your looks.
Accept the challenge and talk about it.
Be confident in who you are and open to discussion.

What they think doesn't decide your choices,
but talking about it does give you a chance
to share a new perspective 
 that they might not have considered.

Feeling Super Phat


No comments: