Sunday, August 5, 2012

Philippines or Bust: Part 5

Home Again, Home Again, Lickety Split

From deserted to hectic.
The world seemed to be on fast forward on the mainland.

In the Saturday traffic and festivities,
what was a four hour trip became a seven hour trip.
Once back in Cebu I asked the cabbie for an affordable airport hotel and he found it for me.
The most expensive and scariest place I stayed.
Despite being terrifying and $20 a night,
it was only a 5 minute walk from the gate.
So, a little bit awesome.
I enjoyed a leisurely wait for my plane, excited to get back.

Headed home.

It will take me a while to really know what I thought about the Philippines.
It was such a whirlwind trip I'm still getting my head around what I saw and learned.

My first thought and most regular thought is that it's the "Asian Central America".
With the heavy influences of both Spanish and US culture,
it often felt like I was in Honduras or parts of Mexico.
If felt very familiar.

In addition many of the people I met were warm and delightful.
Overall, I ended up feeling safer then I'd expected,
mostly because so many kind people took it upon themselves to ensure I was cared for.

Price wise, it was amazing. 
From Korea, you don't really need much money to get to the Philippines
or to enjoy your vacation there.
In fact, if I'd had money to spend I don't even know what I would have done with it.

It was a wonderful trip and I ready to be home.
I went, I saw, I conquered.

No comments: