Friday, February 25, 2011

The Glasses Are Half Broken, I Mean Broken In Half

This is what I awoke to last Sunday.

My beautiful Versace babies finally gave up the ghost.
After seven years of faithful service, my glasses just couldn't do it anymore.  Of course, my biggest concern wasn't sentimental, it was the fact that I'm blind-as-a-bat and it's not safe for me to go outside without some sort of help.  I'd most certainly fall off a cliff or walk out into traffic.

Thankfully I remembered where some tape was and was able to find it by feel.  After doing the best I could to put my glasses back together, I put on pants and went to discover how bad this was going to be.

As I walked down the street with my glasses all cattywumpus, I pondered how this was going work out when there:
  • Was a huge language barrier.
  • No current prescription to work from.
  • $90 in my bank account
I've actually lived in fear of this  happening for a long time.  I haven't been able to afford the $300 - $500 it would cost to replace my old faithfuls, so I've just let it ride for as long as I can.  Of course, on top of the cost there is always the wait.  It takes at least seven days for them to make my glasses since I require special lenses - how I'd get through a week of school was any one's guess.

So, putting all my fears aside I walked to the closest shop I could remember and tossed myself at their mercy.  Thankfully, I found them full of goodness and grace.

PROBLEM SOLVED: They took my prescription from my old glasses.
PROBLEM SOLVED: The most expensive fancy lenses are $55 ($350 in the states)
Twenty minutes later I walked out of the store with an amazing pair of 
glasses that cost a grand total of $73!!!

Now, I have no idea why they were able to turn over a some of the best lenses I've had in my life in a matter of minutes when, back home, they act likes it's a miracle of the gods to get them for me.  Nor do I know why the super compressed lenses with coatings were only $35 and the attractive frames were only $35 as well.  What I can say is that I couldn't have been more happy and thankful.

New glasses in all their wonder.
Of course, one of the funniest parts is that they gave me a glasses cast that perfectly matches my green apartment.  I guess I'm just going to have learn to like this color scheme.

No comments: