Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cloak of Invisibility

When life is more then one can handle.
There is a safe place for me to hide in plain sight.
I close my eyes and disappear right in front of you.
Part of me wants to stay there, but it's just not in me to hide forever.  It's always just a matter of time.

And when that time comes,
instead of looking in the mirror,
I search inside myself for the things worth seeing.
Like an archeologist, I brush the dust away from the relics:

wit
humor
sarcasm

As pain is replaced by laughter my cloak slips slowly away.

Maybe I should go on complicated diets.
Maybe I should do self flagellating workouts.
Maybe I should make myself suffer for wanting to be invisible,
but I just can't commit to these things.

Sometimes being beautiful just isn't the most important thing.
Sometimes being fat is just what I need.
A safe place to hide until the storm clears.
A place to be left alone until I learn to smile again.

Sometimes a girl needs a cloak of invisibility.


No comments: