Monday, February 7, 2011

The Breakdown

It's only taken me 48 hours to become completely confused and dumbfounded by most of what is posted online by US teachers in Korea.  Certainly, I've only been here for a minute and I won't begin to know it all, but I would like to address a few points here at the beginning.

First, Korea is not that cold.  It's February on the coast and gloves are optional.  Sure, you need to to bring something warm but it is nothing like Russia or Alaska.  Just bring some nice cold weather gear and you will be fine.

There are plenty of food options.  Online they make it sound like there is nothing to eat.  The place is rolling in awesome food.  The big markets have everything you need and more and the smaller markets runnith over in local awesome.  If you can't find plenty to eat and cook here well, that says more about you then it says about Korea.

Korean's are surprisingly polite about foreigners.  Yes, it's true there aren't a lot of foreigners, in fact I haven't seen anyone else since I left the airport.  Still, it's not hostel.  I've not been made to feel threatened or uncomfortable.  People are, at times, surprised to see me but it's NOTHING like Central America, a basket ball game at Northway, The Dirty South or the bad part of Hollywood.

Other things I was told I needed to bring to Korea but didn't because the Korean version is just fine:
  • Blankets
  • Toothpaste
  • Pillows
  • Converters (they have them at e-mart so don't stress)
  • Sheets (they are different but they are fine, you're not going to die)
Basically, Korea has everything you need to live a very happy, comfortable and well-fed life.  Sure things are a little different, but isn't that what makes it awesome and why it's Korea and not the USA?

In short, I've begun to think that many people who post about living in Korea are whiny little girls who have lived a privileged pasty suburban life and should get out more.  While here I'll try to put together a list of places to find accurate info on Korea.

No comments: